Vegetarian Recipe #1 : Clayudas


So here is the first meal I made from this month's Vegetarian Times
I plan to try and make several this week.
As soon as I spotted this one, my mouth said, "make me and eat me now".
My mouth, was right.
The chipotle chile in adobo sauce, gave the bean mixture a wonderful smokey, and slightly spicy flavor, that balanced perfectly with the cool and crunchy slaw. Each bite was a perfect ensemble of flavors...
This recipe will definitely be a repeat around here.
Here's what you need and what you do:
Clayudas
1 TBS canola oil
1 small white onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can black beans, rinsed, drain
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained
1/2 tsp brown sugar
4 8inch four tortillas
8 oz. slaw mix
2 TBS lime juice

Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil in saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion, and cook 5 min., or until translucent. Add garlic and cumin and cook 1 min. more. Place onion mixture with beans in blender, chipotle chili, brown sugar and 3 TBS water. Blend till smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake tortillas in oven and spread bean mixture on top baking 5-7 more min. or until edges become golden.
Toss slaw in bowl with cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Top each Clayuda with slaw and cut into triangles.
(We also topped with salsa, sour cream and avocados, so good)



Today went by in a blur. I barely even remember having my coffee today. The day was spent entertaining restless children, vacuuming the house, wiping kitchen counters (I feel like I do this at least 100 times a day), going grocery shopping, eating, watching CJ and his buddy show me tricks on his new bike ramp, watching pollywog dance (she danced all day today...spinning and bowing, too cute), cleaning up pollywog's marker drawings, running around the front yard with the family, giving the little one a bath, assisting CJ with his laundry (new summer chore), reading books, parenting pollywog to bed, playing one song on guitar hero with the boy, to now laying comatose on the floor craving chocolate and blogging...
what will tomorrow bring?
hopefully I will work out and paint, maybe do the laundry that has begun to growl at me when I open the laundry door. These are goals but I don't hold them as expectations. I have been a mom long enough now to know that I will be left frustrated if I do that. It's much better to go with the flow and experience the day with the family.
When I choose the things that are really important over what will always be there, I never end the day with regrets...
reading pollywog's favorite books instead of folding the pile of laundry on the couch (it's my new slip covers) , sitting on the floor coloring with the kids instead of "wiping the counters", listening to CJ's many stories instead of picking up his room while he's talking (sometimes I just can't help myself),   going for a walk with the family instead of immediately cleaning the dishes after dinner.
goodnight